Twitter: BenCollinsStig

Ben Collins > News > Race2Recovery

News

Race2Recovery

race2recovery-540x276

“It was great to catch up with the lads from Top Gear again and it meant a lot to me personally to put the events of last year into perspective. At the end of the day we all share a huge respect for these brave soldiers in their bid to compete in the Dakar rally; so it was well worth risking a right hook from Clarkson or being mauled by the Top Gear dog when my old boss Andy Wilman invited me back. It was nice seeing Hammond without his target pistol too, even if he didn’t recognize me without my white suit…

The film we did in Wales involved me coaching a group of young army veterans to handle the brute power of their QT Wildcat rally 4x4s. The soldiers’ acute injuries made it extremely difficult for them to control the machines as they flew through the air at high speed, let alone sliding through rocky gate posts and down vertical slopes. Somehow they did it and the footage of their feats makes for unbelievable viewing. It was a rare privilege to ride with these guys and witness their perseverance against all odds, without a doubt the most inspirational journey of my life.”

Find out more:

www.race2recovery.co.uk/

www.facebook.com

12 comments:

Charlies mum says:

Bean, As patron of R2R can you please tell me if i can buy one of those great Project mobility 4×4 jackets that the team have on in the picture ? Can i get one from the Race 2 recovery website ?

Ben Collins says:

I’m sure you can buy one! They will sell anything to get themselves to the Dakar – get in touch and i’m sure the boys can hook you up www.race2recovery.co.uk/getintouch

Lee Welton says:

Amazing guys and a fantastic project, really inspirational.

Ben are you doing any events in or around London that would be good for a photographer?

Darrin Moore says:

Hi Ben – oddly enough was sitting reading your book Sunday night, and then there you were on TG with RH again. Having read your book, I understood the connection you had with these guys, so it all seemed very ‘right’ that they brought you in on this. Great read, loved the book. Am a bigger fan now, especially now I know you have driven in V8 supercars in Oz (am an Aussie living in Scotland)

A.Stewart says:

you where on the last episode of season17 of top gear

Vikram Kakkar says:

Hello,

Big fan of TG and the STIG, which by the way I thought you were awesome at portraying with an amazing talent.

Glad to see you back on TG and hope everyone can stop being so touchy about the whole book thing!

All the best for your future endeavors and looking forward to reading more of your books and watching you race.

Cheers!

David Cook says:

Ben,

I have just watched the TG episode (in Australia) which featured your coaching of the soldiers. It was great to see you back and I hope the TG boys keep you on as part of the team.

I wish you every success. David

jamal says:

Glad to see you on Topgear again and hoping you get to make more appearances there or on other shows. I wish you the best.

-Jamal

P.S. I think you can take Clarkson in a fight

Jamie says:

well done Ben…I agree with your comment about these folks who put there lives down for our future…their sacrifice is not lost on me.

Roy Barwick says:

I would like to add i enjoyed that piece as well,the determination of those guy’s is something else,i hope they make it to the end of the rally safely.
    Great to see you back on the show (where you belong)!

Andy says:

Hey Ben,I support Project Mobility and R2R, would it not have been better to answer Charlies mum with the answer that R2R were members of Project Mobility, but have now a break away team? She will not be able to get a Project Mobility jacket from R2R website. Good luck with R2R.. lets hope the two can become friendly….