Twitter: BenCollinsStig

Ben Collins > Motorsport > Ben Collins and Team win Le Mans Series Title at Silverstone this weekend

News

Ben Collins and Team win Le Mans Series Title at Silverstone this weekend

Winning at Silverstone

Mike Newton, Tommy Erdos and Ben Collins driving a Lola HPD Coupé have won the Le Mans Series LMP2 title for the RML AD Group. Ben took the chequered flag on Sunday in a measured and disciplined final stint from the driver better known, until recently, as The Stig. “It has been great having Ben with us” said Mike, “He’s fitted in so well, but when he joined us we had no expectation that he’d bring quite so much public interest with him.”

Speaking on behalf of AD Group, the team’s principal sponsors, Pauline Norstrom, the company’s Motorsport & Marketing Director, expressed her delight. “Securing the title is such a relief, we’re ecstatic!” she said. “At last, all the hard work has paid off, and we’re delighted to give our guests a taste of success.”

“This has been a great performance by the whole team,” said Ray Mallock, Founder and Chief Executive of RML. “The Lola HPD has been superbly reliable all season, and the drivers have done a great job of delivering the championship in the best tradition of endurance racing; by being consistently on the pace yet keeping out of trouble.”

Ben also had a massive boost when Formula 1 legend Nigel Mansell wished him the best of luck now he has been unmasked, saying Collins, who has been under the glare of the media spotlight since being unveiled as the Top Gear star last month, would now be able to prove how good he is on the track. He said: “I’m happy for him and I hope he can now earn some money out of it. “This weekend will show how good a driver he really is, I know he’s good.”

At Silverstone over the weekend, Ben was keeping a fairly low profile and seemed somewhat overwhelmed by the attention he is now attracting. But racing fans at the Northamptonshire track were clearly pleased to see him, patting him on the back as he walked through the pits and wishing him well.

4 comments:

Graham Daley says:

I just wanted to say that I think its great that finally you will be able to race and win as yourself and as a massive fan of Top Gear ,I dont blame you for coming out of the suit ,Ive read the book and really enjoyed it and wished it was longer ,how about a sequel ?? ,Personally I think it was wrong that Clarkson & Co are slagging you off when they are all making shed loads of money and part of the reason the show was so popular and made every one of them shed loads of money was the way you gave Stig personality and attitude , I really hope you get a decent drive and start earning the sort of money and getting the recognition for your skill and talent that you have shown the world that you have but could not reveal, and finally as a Motorsport fan I will be hoping we see you back on track soon

James says:

Good luck Ben. Just finished reading your book. Great read. Hope your racing career gets a boost. Was thinking it would be a nice bit of publicity for any formula 1 team to have the Stig do a test session with them. Congratz on your recent win.

From South Africa
    James

Well done life after topgear. I bought the book to show support for a hard working family man trying to do his best for his family and country. I wish you and yours every success.

Dominic says:

Ben you are the man!
    Hope to see you drive a Airwaves BMW around Knockhill next year. :)
    Might even get you to sign my Man in the white suit book?
    All the best mate.